Overview and Objectives
Laurier is embarking on a consultative process to develop a five-year strategic plan (2019-2024) to guide the university’s priorities. The objectives of the planning process are to:
- Create an institutional strategic plan that synthesizes and builds on existing (Strategic Mandate Agreement, Strategic Academic Plan, Strategic Research Plan, etc.) and emerging institutional priorities and brings life to the university’s strategic directions.
- Lay out a bold, inspirational, and aspirational institutional vision for the next five years (2019-2024) that informs unit-level planning and priority-setting.
This will be accomplished through a planning process that focuses on engaging and energizing key internal and external stakeholder groups, in alignment with the university’s mission and values.
The university’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT) (i.e. the president, vice-presidents and senior executive officer, Brantford) will provide strategic oversight and support to the planning process as sponsors of the project.
A Steering Committee will lead the research and consultation process, and the development of the plan. The plan will be presented to the Senate and Board of Governors for approval.
A Resource Group will provide subject matter and operational expertise to support the work of the steering committee.
The Steering Committee began meeting in October 2018 to identify and create opportunities for stakeholder consultation.
Throughout the month of January, the Steering Committee will seek input from Laurier’s students, faculty, staff, alumni and external stakeholders through an online questionnaire, focus groups, workshops and targeted consultations.
Students, staff and faculty are invited to share their input at the following events:
Divisional Council Meetings
- Faculty of Science: Jan. 10, 2:30 p.m., BA101
- Faculty of Music: Jan. 11, 2:30 p.m., A510
- Faculty of Education: Jan. 15, 9:30 a.m., Bricker, Faculty of Education Board Room 3F
- Library Council: Jan. 23, noon, DAWB 5-103
- Faculty of Human and Social Sciences: Jan. 28, 2:30 p.m., RCE004
- Faculty of Liberal Arts: Jan. 28, 2:30 p.m., RCW202
- Faculty of Social Work: Jan. 30, 9:30 a.m., FSW301
- Faculty of Arts: Feb. 1, 2 p.m., SB106
- Lazaridis School: Feb. 1, 1:30 p.m., location TBD
Student Union Consultations
- Wilfrid Laurier University Student Union Board Meeting: Jan. 25, 3 p.m.
- Graduate Students' Association Board Meeting: Jan. 29, 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 16, 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Senate and Board Chamber
- Monday, Jan. 21, 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. in LH3101
- Tuesday, Jan. 29, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., MS207, second floor, Market Square
Members of the Laurier community can register for the World Cafés via the online form.
Timelines and project progress will be updated on a regular basis.
- September 2018: Establish and populate committees.
- October 2018: Steering committee begins meeting.
- January 2019: Stakeholder consultations begin.
- February 2019: Iterative strategic plan development.
- March 2019: Stakeholder consultations on draft plan.
- May 2019: Approval of Senate.
- June 2019: Approval of Board of Governors.
- September 2019: Implementation.
Steering Committee Members
The membership of the Strategic Plan Steering Committee consists of the following 28 members:
- Deborah MacLatchy, President and Vice-Chancellor
- Rob Gordon, Provost and Vice-President: Academic
- Scott Lyons, External Representative, Board of Governors
- Lynda Kitamura, External Representative, Board of Governors
- Bill Muirhead, External Representative, Board of Governors
- Heidi Northwood, Dean: Faculty of Liberal Arts and Interim Senior Executive Officer, Brantford Campus
- Leanne Holland Brown, Dean of Students: Waterloo campus
- Mary-Anne Banks, Associate Vice-President: Financial Resources
- Jennifer Casey, Associate Vice-President: Enrollment Services and Registrar
- Ulrike Gross, Associate Vice-President: Facilities and Asset Management
- Jean Becker, Senior Advisor: Indigenous Initiatives
- Natalie Rigato, Undergraduate Student: Brantford Campus
- Tarique Plummer, Undergraduate Student: Waterloo Campus
- Filip Adamski, Graduate Student
- Connie Palenik, Staff Representative, Board of Governors
- Melanie Will, Staff Representative, Board of Governors
- Thomas Waites, WLUAA representative
- Mark Harris, Principal-Dean: Martin Luther University College
- Gavin Brockett, Associate Professor: Faculty of Arts
- Mary Kelly, Professor: Lazaridis School of Business and Economics
- Kristiina Montero, Associate Professor: Faculty of Education
- Nikolai Kovalev, Associate Professor: Faculty of Human and Social Sciences
- Geoff Spurr, Associate Professor: Faculty of Liberal Arts
- Leslie Fagan, Assistant Professor: Faculty of Music
- Pam Bryden, Professor: Faculty of Science
- Ann Curry-Stevens, Associate Professor: Faculty of Social Work
- Michele Kramer, Contract Academic Staff
- Yanli Li, Librarian