Skip to main content

Join us at Laurier

Becoming a Golden Hawk means more than just cheering on our (really good) varsity teams – it means being a student who cares about your community, who works hard in the classroom, and who takes advantage of all the learning opportunities that can happen outside the classroom, too.

Study Permits

To study in Canada in an ESL program of less than six months in length, you do not require a study permit, but you may still require Temporary Resident Visa (entry Visa) to enter Canada, depending on your country of nationality. To study in a degree or diploma program, or an ESL program longer than six months, you need a study permit. When you apply for a study permit, you will automatically receive an entry visa if you are required to obtain one. For a list of countries that require an entry visa, refer to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Your first study permit must be obtained outside Canada at the Canadian visa post, consulate or embassy that serves your country of nationality or where you are legally residing.

To obtain an entry visa, you will be required to present a passport, proof of acceptance to Wilfrid Laurier University, and proof of sufficient funds to support yourself while studying here. There may be additional documents required, depending on your place of application.

Once you are studying in Canada, extensions to your study permit can be done online as an inside Canada application. The LEAF Program will assist you with this process. Contact for more information.

Check the website of the Canadian visa office through which you are applying for the processing times and be sure to submit your application with enough time to arrive in Canada and start your program. Some countries can take more than three months, so apply early!

Health Insurance

Health insurance is required to study in Canada. International students are not covered by Ontario's provincial healthcare program and as such are required to pay for health insurance. The LEAF program will arrange health insurance for you as soon as you arrive.

If you already have health insurance, please provide proof of your insurance to LEAF program administrators before the program start date to avoid being charged for LEAF's health insurance. Email


There are several options available for LEAF students at Laurier's Brantford campus. You can choose to live in one of our comfortable and modern residences, or you can choose to live in a private home with the homestay program, or you can make your own arrangements for accommodation. Email to confirm your choice.

To apply for a spot in one of our residence buildings, complete the application form.

Students Living in Laurier Residence

Students living in residence at Laurier will not be provided with bedding. Please bring your own bedding or visit to preorder and have a package delivered to your room. Contact for more information.


We see you are accessing our website on IE8. We recommend you view in Chrome, Safari, Firefox or IE9+ instead.