Looking for “just the facts?” You’ll find them here – Laurier’s history, our motto, and maybe some fun surprises, too.
Laurier traces its roots to the opening of the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary in Waterloo more than 100 years ago in 1911. We’ve gone through several changes since then, and in 1973, our name changed from Waterloo Lutheran University to Wilfrid Laurier University. In 1999, we opened our campus in Brantford.
Who Was Wilfrid Laurier?
Sir Wilfrid Laurier has been on two Canadian stamps and adorns the Canadian five-dollar bill, but more importantly, he was Canada’s seventh prime minister from 1896-1911 and served 45 years in the House of Commons. He was a nation builder, known for promoting individual liberty and his skills at conciliation.
A Laurier education is about building the whole person: mind, body and spirit. We believe that your university career must lead to more than just a job to be considered a success; Laurier creates engaged and aware citizens in a culture that inspires lives of leadership and purpose.
Veritas Omnia Vincit (Truth Conquers All).
Our Campuses and Locations
- Chongqing, China
Our campus in Waterloo is in the heart of a thriving, tech-forward city; our campus in downtown Brantford provides access to an intimate, small-town experience.
Canada’s biggest city, Toronto, is only about an hour from both Waterloo and Brantford. Many of our students connect with work experience there through our co-op office.
Laurier by the Numbers
- 1:25: Laurier’s faculty-to-student ratio.
- Top 10: Where Laurier ranks in its category in the 2014 Maclean’s University Rankings.
- 99: The Great One, Wayne Gretzky, was born in Brantford.
- 97.3%: Graduates from 2014 who have secure employment or undertook postgraduate studies after graduation.
- 28: Countries with which we have exchange programs.
- 500: Students who studied abroad in 2013.
- 103: Age of the institution.
- 4,500: Employers who recruit at Laurier every year.
- 5: Campuses and locations.
- 70%: Laurier co-op students who find employment in and around Toronto.
- #1: National ranking in “Satisfaction with decision to attend Laurier.” (Maclean's)
- 88,264: Alumni worldwide.
- 1: Hours from Waterloo campus to Toronto.
- 1.5: Hours from Brantford campus to Toronto.
- 500,000+: People in Waterloo Region.
- 19,000+: Students.
- #1: Laurier has the largest business degree co-op program in Canada.
- 2: Performance spaces.
- 15: Years Laurier has had a campus in Brantford.
- >80%: Single residence rooms on the Brantford campus.
- 1,000: Student study spots in the library.
- 37,000: Electronic journals available through the Laurier Library.
- 1,000,000: Printed volumes in the library.
- 3,000,000: Printed volumes accessible through the TriUniversity Group.
- 20+: Research centres and institutes.
Clubs, Athletics and Recreation
- 175: Clubs and groups at Laurier.
- 6,000: Students who hold a co-curricular record of extracurricular achievements.
- 130,000: Square footage of the new recreation centre the Brantford campus is building with the YMCA.
- 70%: Upper-year students who participate in community service or volunteer work.
- 3,000: Volunteer opportunities through our students’ union.
- 4,376: Students who participated in orientation week last year.
- 5,000: Safe walks home provided by Foot Patrol.
- 2,763: Registered club members.
- 8,000: Students who participated in our award-winning intramural programs last year.
- 13: National championships.
- 66: Provincial championships.
- 1: FIFA-certified soccer field.
- 1: Olympic-length swimming pool.
- 18: Men and women’s varsity sports teams.
- 59: Intramural leagues.
OK, That’s All the Cut-and-Dried Facts…
…But let us share a few opinions, too: No matter what our faculty-student ratio is, you’ll feel like your professors always have you in mind. No matter how much history is on our campus, we’re always preparing you for your future. And no matter how many students we have, you won’t find a closer-knit group at any university, anywhere.