Our program offers master’s students first-hand teaching experience in the form of teaching assistantships in English or Film Studies courses. We offer our master’s students a highly competitive guaranteed funding package, ranging in value from $14,000 to $19,000.
Financial Assistance and Support
Students are expected to apply for any financial awards for which they are eligible. Consequently, some students may enter the Master of Arts (MA) program with a SSHRC or OGS award. Students who enter the program with an external award are eligible for an incentive scholarship.
Financial support for students (Canadian and permanent residents) in the MA in English and Film Studies Program is available from several sources, including:
- Teaching assistantships for the fall and winter terms, which are available to all full-time students.
- Laurier Graduate Scholarships, awarded on a competitive basis to full-time graduate students who achieve high academic standing. These scholarships are tenable for study at Laurier while enrolled as a full-time student.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships, competitive awards for which all students seeking graduate admissions should apply. Awards are based on merit and subject to provincial funding levels.
- SSHRC CGS MA Scholarships, competitive awards that should be considered as a potential source of funding for all students seeking graduate admissions. These scholarships are awarded based on merit, and are subject to federal funding levels.
- MA and PhD students who are attending a conference may apply to the department for travel funding once a year (May 1 to April 30).
- The department will subsidize travel costs for the amount of $350 if you are presenting a paper and $150 if you are attending a conference or performing administrative duties (such as chairing a session).
- If you attend a second conference in the same year, you may apply for further funding, which may be granted if funds are available.
- If eligible to do so, students should apply first to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (consult their internal scholarships and awards website for details).
- Students may also apply for funding from the Graduate Students' Association.