The world is constantly changing and you need to be ready for what’s around the corner. Through paid co-op work experiences, you can apply your skills, passion and education to a real-world setting, leaving a lasting impact while creating connections that lead to rewarding results. You’ll graduate with a competitive edge, practical work experience on your resumé and be on your way to creating a meaningful difference in whatever you choose to do.
- Develop skills and gain real-world experience.
- Explore your interests by working in different industries and positions.
- Earn money to help cover your expenses.
- Grow your professional network.
- Be ready to apply your skills to whatever you pursue after you graduate.
How Co-op Works
- Get paid while working for an employer for 12 to 16 weeks, on average.
- Work during two to four co-op terms, depending on your program.
- Be supported by co-op staff who will assist you with career planning, job search and interview preparation.
- Apply to co-op job postings and attend interviews when selected by employers.
- Learn about business conduct and meeting employer expectations.
- Reflect on your learning through performance evaluations and work term reports.
How to Enrol in Co-op
Check your program descriptions to see if co-op is available.
Apply after first year. We base admission on grades, work experience, volunteer and extracurricular activities, and an interview with the Co-op Office.
- Business Administration (BBA)
- All Faculty of Arts (excluding International Education Studies)
- All Faculty of Science
Students are automatically eligible for co-op and register at the end of their first year.
- BBA Double Degrees (with Laurier)
- Business Technology Management
Students must participate in co-op as part of their degree requirements.
- BBA Double Degrees (with the University of Waterloo)
Sample Co-op Jobs
- E-commerce Assistant Product Manager, Staples Canada, Richmond Hill
- Communications Assistant, Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada
- Customer Marketing, Bayer Group, Toronto
- Global Investment Banking Co-op Analyst, RBC Capital Markets, Toronto
- Historical Interpreter, Waterloo Region Museum, Kitchener
- Internal Auditor, ATS Automation, Cambridge
- Recreation and Leisure Support Worker, The Safehaven Project for Community Living, Toronto
- Sales Analyst, Smucker Foods, Markham
- Staff Accountant, Deloitte, Toronto
- Software Developer, The Co-operators, Kitchener
Where Are Our Co-op Students Working?
CPA / Consulting
- BDO Canada LLP
- Boston Consulting
- EY Canada
- MNP LLP
- Mercer Canada
- PwC LLP
Community Services / Government
- Canada Revenue Agency
- FedDev Ontario
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation
- Tim Horton Children’s Foundation
- SickKids Foundation
- United Way Waterloo Region Communities
- YMCA Canada
Consumer Packaged Goods
- Campbell Company of Canada
- ConAgra Foods
- Henkel Canada
- IKEA Canada
- Kimberly-Clark Inc.
- Loblaw Companies Ltd.
- PepsiCo Canada
- SC Johnson Canada
Financial Services / Insurance
- BMO Capital Markets
- Brookfield Financial
- Economical Insurance
- Fidelity Investments
- Manulife Financial
- Sun Life Financial
Technology / Telecommunications
- IBM Canada
- Miovision Technologies
- SAP Canada
- Samsung Canada
- Shopify Inc.
Automotive / Manufacturing
- John Deere
- Linamar Corporation
- Mercedes-Benz Financial
- Magna International
- Nissan Canada
- Toyota Motor Manufacturing
- Yamaha Motor Canada