Laurier is making daily decisions and service adjustments to contain the spread of COVID-19. Our goal is to keep the Laurier community informed of these updates in a timely and accurate manner. Visit the wlu.ca/coronavirus website for the latest information and the Remote Learning Student Hub site for academic, mental health and social supports.
We’re collecting stories of sharing, helping and kindness submitted by members of the university community. Share your stories by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or tag Laurier in your social media posts.
August 18 key updates:
- Laurier Bookstore Updates:
- Customers can purchase textbooks, course materials, general merchandise, supplies and more online. All Laurier Bookstore physical campus retail locations remain closed.
- Students can now access their custom book list and order books online at wlubookstore.com. The bookstore offers international and Canadian shipping at affordable rates. To avoid delays in delivery due to high volume, and to ensure course materials arrive before the start of fall term, students are encouraged to place orders as soon as possible.
- The bookstore also plans to offer in-person pickup for online orders at multiple locations closer to September. Details will be communicated following approvals and once protocols are in place to ensure the safety of customers and employees. For more information, please contact the bookstore at email@example.com.
- Athletics and Recreation Phase One Reopening: Phase one of the Athletics and Recreation reopening plan will begin September 10 with the opening of the Fitness Centre in the Athletic Complex on Laurier’s Waterloo campus. There will be a number of social distancing and sanitization protocols in place to ensure the safety of all participants. Future reopening dates for other Waterloo campus facilities are to be determined and will include University Stadium Field, Athletics Complex Gymnasiums, and the Pool.
- Laurier Brantford YMCA: The YMCA of Hamilton | Burlington | Brantford has indicated that the Laurier Brantford YMCA is slated to open with modified programs, amenities and protocols on Sept. 8 as part of their phased approach to reopening. For more details, visit their website.
- Online fitness schedules Aug. 17-21: The Golden Hawks are offering some unique opportunities to stay moving over the next couple of weeks – visit Laurier Recreation on Twitter and Instagram for schedules.
- 5 Keys to Success in Virtual Courses – Laurier has developed some recommended strategies to help support you with remote and online learning during the virtual fall term. More information on the keys to success are available on the student website.
- Fend Off Digital Fatigue – The sudden, unanticipated shift to a virtual world as a result of the pandemic has required students to adjust to a new way of learning and socializing. Laurier’s Laurier’s Wellness Education Coordinator, Sarah Syrett, shares some tips to help manage and prevent digital fatigue during remote learning.
- Information for incoming first-year, undergraduate Hawks | Laurier 101
- First-year students can register to participate in Program Chats for a chance to meet faculty, staff, students and advisors from their program. Not all programs have scheduled Program Chats, so review the dates and registration links listed in Laurier Life on MyLearningSpace.
- Instructional plans for Fall 2020 graduate and undergraduate courses can be found on the student website.
- Fall semester FAQs.