Canada Graduate Scholarships Ė Masterís (CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC)
Information and applications for the Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master's Program (CGS M) are now available on the NSERC website. Note that ALL CGS M applicants use the NSERC site.
Be sure to check out the new Frequently Asked Questions page.
The Tri-Agency has harmonized the application and administration of the Canada Graduate Scholarship Ė Masterís (CGS M). The following information applies to the CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC CGS M competitions.
The objective of the CGS M Program is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies.
December 1, 2013
Value and Duration of Awards
$17,500 for 12 months; non-renewable
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- be enrolled in, or intend to apply for full-time admission* to an eligible graduate program at the masterís or doctoral level at a Canadian university with a CGS M allocation;
- have completed, as of December 31 of the year of application, between zero and 12 months of full-time studies (or full-time equivalent) in:
- the masterís program for which you are requesting funding; or
- the doctoral program for which you are requesting funding if you were admitted into a doctoral program directly from your bachelorís program (you were never registered in a masterís program, or you are registered in a combined Masterís-PhD program); or
- a masterís program, but are requesting funding for a doctoral program (an example is a student who is fast-track from a masterís to a doctoral program within 12 months of starting their Masterís and is seeking funding for the first 12 months of their doctoral program); and
- not have previously held a CGS M;
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by the host university, in the last two completed years of study (full-time equivalent); and
- submit a maximum of one CGS M application per year (the Research Portal will allow the application to be submitted to up to five universities Ė refer to Application Procedure).
Applications are completed and submitted online. You will be required to include the Canadian Common CV. Carefully review the instructions available online.
To apply for the CGS M scholarships, all applicants must complete and submit an application using the Research Portal.
The Research Portal will instruct applicants to select up to five universities where they wish to hold the award. Applicants may select universities on the application where:
- they are currently enrolled in an eligible program of study and wish to pursue their studies; or
- they intend to apply for full-time admission to an eligible program of study if not currently enrolled at a university of their choice.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (or equivalent) at each Canadian university is responsible for coordinating the selection process for the CGS M applications, and for communicating the results to the applicants and agencies. Laurier will have separate selection committees for each research mandate (i.e. CIHR, SSHRC and NSERC).
Academic Excellence (50%)
Research Potential (30%)
Personal Characteristics and Interpersonal Skills (20%)
Complete details for this scholarship can be found here
Questions? Contact your Graduate Admissions and Records Officer