NSERC Doctoral Scholarships
Applications are to be submitted using Form 201 in the on-line application system. Students are responsible for ensuring that they meet the eligibility requirements and have adhered to the scholarship application guidelines.
Students who are (or who were) registered at Wilfrid Laurier University during the year of appliction must submit their official sealed transcripts to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies office by September 24, 2014 in order for them to be uploaded to your application. The University designate information: Cherie Mongeon, firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Students registered at Wilfrid Laurier University must submit their application on-line via the NSERC Research Portal by the appropriate departmental deadline.
- $21,000/year for NSERC Postgraduate Scholarship (PGSD)
- $35,000/year for Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGSD)*
*Note: The highest ranked PGS applicants are automatically considered for CGS awards.
Duration of Award
- PGSD: up to 3 years (limited number of awards may be held abroad)
- CGSD: up to 3 years (only held in Canada)
- no funding beyond 52nd month of your doctoral program (64th month if admitted to PhD directly from bachelor's program)
Eligibility to Apply
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- hold or expect to hold (at time of taking up award) a degree in science or engineering from an NSERC-recognized university
- intend to pursue, in following year, full-time graduate studies and research at the doctoral level in an area supported by NSERC
- have attained a first-class average (GPA of 10 or A–) in each of the last 2 years of study
- you may submit only one application per year to either NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR
- students can apply to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship program in the same year but it must be submitted to the same agency (CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC)
PGSD / CGSD
By December 31, 2014, you have completed:
- 0-24 months of studies in doctoral program for which funding is requested OR
- 4-36 months of studies in doctoral program for which funding is requested if admitted directly to PhD from bachelor’s (you were never registered in a master's program)
At the time of application you may:
- be in last year of master’s program
- be in 1st or 2nd year of doctoral program
- have completed, as of December 31, 2013, between 4 and 36 months of studies in the doctoral program for which are your requesting funding if you were admitted directly from bachelor’s program
- not previously held an NSERC PGS B, PGS D, CGS D, IPS 2 or Vanier CGS for program of study you are currently applying for funding
- not hold, or previously held, a CGS D or Vanier CGS from either CIHR or SSHRC
- academic excellence (weighted 30%)
- research ability or potential (weighted 50%)
- communication, interpersonal and leadership skills (weighted 20%)
Conditions of Award
- to hold award, you must have been unconditionally accepted into a doctoral degree program recognized by NSERC
- be registered full-time (part-time if special conditions apply) in a graduate studies program at an eligible university
Questions? Contact Cherie Mongeon, Graduate Financial Aid and Awards Officer in the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.