Ontario Trillium Scholarships
The Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) program is a significant initiative to attract more of the best qualified international students to Ontario for PhD studies. The OTS are to be awarded to international PhD recipients for a maximum of four years. Awards are to be automatically awarded to the student for each of the three years following the first year provided the student maintains good academic standing and continues to meet recipient eligibility requirements.
Each OTS is valued at $40,000 annually and is renewable for an additional three years. Wilfrid Laurier University awards two Ontario Trillium Scholarships each year to outstanding qualified international applicants.
Eligible doctoral applicants who wish to apply for the OTS must:
- Complete an application for admission and assemble their admission application package;
- Complete an online OTS application;
- Submit an online OTS application and submit a completed application for admission package to graduate studies at Laurier to their intended graduate program at Laurier, no later than February 2, 2015, by 4:30 pm.
Application Deadline - Closed for 2015/2016 academic year.
Laurier's online application for the 2015/2016 competition is now closed. Check back in August 2015 for details and information on applying for this award for the 2016/2017 academic year.
- recipients must be international students who hold a valid Canadian study permit (should an OTS recipient obtain permanent residency status, s/he will continue to be eligible for the OTS for the balance of his/her renewable OTS for a total of four years);
- recipients must be intending to pursue full-time graduate studies at the doctoral level in a degree granting program;
- recipients must have achieved a first-class average in each of the two years of full-time study prior to being awarded the OTS;
- recipients must not be currently studying at an Ontario postsecondary institution at the undergraduate or graduate level;
- recipients must not have concurrently accepted a scholarship from NSERC (ie. IPS) or OGS and must not concurrently be receiving significant external sponsorships (ie. in excess of $10,000)
- recipients who withdraw, transfer to part-time status or fail to complete the term without prior consultation with the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office may be required to repay the award.
A complete online application package includes:
- Application Form
- Research/Program Statement
- List of Publications and Presentations
- Two Academic Assessments
- Official Transcripts: scan and save hard copy official transcripts in PDF file format (max 4 MB file size); upload each PDF transcript file from all post-secondary education to online application and include transcript legends/grading scales
The Graduate Awards Committee will review applications for the Ontario Trillium Scholarship and communicate its recommendations to the Dean of Graduate & Postdoctoral Studies. Notification of results will be communicated to applicants via email at the end of March 2015.
Questions? Contact Cherie Mongeon, Graduate Financial Aid and Awards Officer, in the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.