What is a 3MT?
Three Minute Thesis (3MT) is a research communication competition that challenges
Each of the three judging criteria has equal weight. Note what each criterion has in common: an emphasis on audience.
- Communication style: was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience?
- Comprehension: did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
- Engagement: did the oration make the audience want to know more?
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken
word(e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts the presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
First - $1000
Runner-up - $500
Honorable mentions - $250
Particapants' Choice - $250