Admission to Laurier’s Faculty of Music is based on the collective results of the following:
- Academic Grades
- Theory Placement Test (on audition day)
- You’ll write a theory placement test equivalent to RCM Advanced Rudiments.
- Interview with faculty member (on audition day)
- This is a chance for us to get to know you and for you to ask any questions you have.
- Audition on instrument
- Apply to the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (ouac.on.ca)
- Once your application is processed you will be contacted by email with login information for Laurier’s Online Audition Portal to access your Audition Application.
- Complete and submit your Audition Application which includes:
- Your contact information
- Your choice of three potential audition dates from set list
- Contact information for one reference (reference will be contacted by email to fill out an online reference form)
- Your current academic information
- Your music background and career goals
- $50 audition fee
You should audition in person, but if you live beyond 400 km from Laurier, you can audition by video. If you choose this option when completing your Online Audition Application you will receive instructions on how to prepare and submit your video.
Applicants, who have significant proficiency on a second instrument and would consider enrolling as a major on either, should seriously consider auditioning on both instruments. An additional fee of $50 will be charged for a second audition.
- Your audition day will consist of your audition, interview and theory placement test.
- If you are auditioning with an orchestral instrument (percussion excepted), you must bring your own instrument.
- Dress for success! We suggest no jeans, track pants, etc. Practice in the clothing you will wear.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before your audition to have time to check in with an Audition Assistant and warm up in one of our practice rooms.
- Bring one copy of your music for the audition panel.
- Your audition panel will consist of 2 or 3 music faculty who will assess your musicianship and technical ability.
- Professional accompanists will be provided by the Faculty of Music. The cost of this is included in your audition fee. You must provide the music for the accompanist. If you prefer, you may bring your own accompanist.
- Cancellation or rescheduling of an audition must be received 48 hours before the scheduled audition.
After Audition Day
The majority of applicants will hear from us once all audition candidates on their instrument have been auditioned. In some cases this may not be until late April or May.
You will receive either a “recommendation for admission” or a “refusal” (via email) from the Faculty of Music.
“Recommendation for Admission” – the
Faculty of Music recommends that you be accepted to Laurier providing you meet
all academic admission requirements of the university. This is not a guarantee
of your acceptance. Your “official” offer of admission will be determined by Laurier's Recruitment & Admissions Office and will be sent to you via mail.
“Refusal” – you have not been accepted by the Faculty of Music. The Recruitment & Admissions Office will automatically consider you for an alternate offer of admission at Laurier. Eg. Bachelor of Arts. For more information about alternate offers contact email@example.com.