EMPIRE: Strong Start Program
What is Strong Start?
• Strong Start is a 10-week, early literacy program intended to support children who are lagging behind their peers in some early reading skills. The program uses short games & activities to provide repetition to help children learn letters, sounds and words.
Who is it for?
• It is for children aged 5-7.
We need YOU!
• The program is implemented by volunteers who do not need to have related experience.
• Volunteer coaches work with one child at a time and follow prescribed activities using the materials provided.
• Time commitment - each new volunteer attends 2, two-hour training sessions (total of 4 hours) and is given a detailed manual.
• After that, a volunteer coach commits to ½ an hour/week for 10 weeks.
• A criminal record check is required.
Jana Kelly is the Strong Start site coordinator for Empire Public School firstname.lastname@example.org
For more details on the Strong Start program visit: http://www.strongstart.ca/