Workplace Violence Prevention
Bill 168 amendments to the Occupational Health and Safety Act came into effect on June 15, 2010. This legislation specifies responsibilities for employers to protect their workers in respect to workplace violence and harassment which includes:
- An exercise of physical force
- An attempt to exercise physical force
- A threat to exercise physical force
- Domestic Violence in the workplace
To ensure employers are fulfilling their responsibilities, the legislation requires the development of a policy and program. It also requires employers to conduct a risk assessment to determine functions of their buisiness that carry a higher risk and therefore require controls be put in place to protect their workers.
Laurier's Workplace Violence Prevention Policy was finalized and approved by the Board of Governors on June 1, 2010, and continues to receive annual review and approval. Laurier's Hassassment/Discrimination Policy #6.1 was amended to include workplace harassment as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and was approved by the Board of Governors on February 17, 2011.
The Workplace Violence Prevention Program was completed in October 2010, and was since amended in May 2013. To view the program, and its appendices, click below:
Appendix A Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
Appendix B Workplace Violence Risk Assessment
Appendix C Physical Environment Assessment
Appendix D Assessment for Specific Risk
- Working Alone
- Travel to Remote Locations or Hazardous Regions
- Dealing with Highly Sensitive/Controversial Personal Matters or Making Decisions That Impact Academic of Employment Status
- Providing Services Directly to Members of the Public or Working in a Community Based Setting
- Handling, Securing or Protecting Cash or Other Tangible Valuables, Including Narcotics or Other Drugs
- Patrolling and Responding to Security Conditions and Providing Protective Services
- Dealing with Unstable/Volitile Individuals
Appendix E Workplace Violence Reporting Form
Appendix F Recognizing Domestic Violence
Appendix G Workplace Violence Safety Plan
Appendix I Safety Tips
Appendix J Community Services
WORKPLACE VIOLENCE & HARASSMENT PREVENTION TRAINING
This mandatory training is avilable for all faculty, staff and management at Brantford, K-W and Toronto campuses. This training will address key issues relating to Workplace Violence and Harassment legislation, reporting and resolutions inititatives, identifying suspicious behaviours and providing the information you need to understand your new responsibilities.
For more information on training Click Here.