Doctor of Ministry: Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy Application Instructions
For additional questions, please contact the Seminary Office
Address all communications to:
Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
Attn: Admissions Coordinator
75 University Avenue West,
Waterloo, ON, N2L 3C5
Phone: (519) 884-0710 ext. 3234
Fax: (519) 725-2434
PROGRAM NOTES:The Doctor of Ministry (DMin) is intended for persons who already have competence in pastoral care and counselling and related disciplines. Students will undertake advanced studies and training in the theological foundations of pastoral care and counselling in conjunction with post-practicum clinical education in the practice of individual, marriage and family therapy. The program normally requires two to three years of course work and clinical training, with another year for completion of a doctoral thesis. DMin students will be required to complete a minimum of 500 hours of pastoral counselling under supervision in addition to 9 courses and a Research Project/Thesis. Applicants for admission must hold the Master of Divinity degree or the equivalent of such a degree, with at least an average of B+.
Further admission requirements include adequate ministry experience (normally three years), completion of basic training in Pastoral Counselling Education (PCE), or equivalent level of clinical training, a research course in marriage and family therapy and pastoral counselling. The Doctor of Ministry program can only be applied for Fall term enrolment. Your completed dossier will be reviewed by the Academic Admissions Committee and you may be invited for a personal interview. The decision of the Committee will be shared with the applicant normally by the end of May. Courses can be registered for after an offer of admission is accepted. Application materials will not be returned. This program has a firm deadline of May 1st each year.
1) Familiarize yourself with the program and admission requirements for the DMin
2) Complete the online application form via Wilfrid Laurier University and the Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC), found here: http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=36&p=635. Ensure you select a field of study when selecting the DMin program: either Pastoral Leadership, or Spiritual Care & Counselling.b. A non-refundable application fee of $125 is paid online by credit card, internet banking, cheque or money order (payable to the “Ontario Universities Application Centre”). Should you encounter technical difficulties with the application, please contact OUAC directly at 519-823-1940. See further application fee instructions here: http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=36&p=635#Application___Fee
3) Order original transcripts from all college and universities you have attended, included incomplete degrees and diplomas. Transcripts from some Ontario colleges and universities schools can be ordered during the OUAC application process and will be sent to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary electronically. If your institution was not on the list, you will need to contact the institution directly and order a transcript to be sent to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator. If you attended Wilfrid Laurier University, you will not need to order that transcript. We cannot accept photocopied or unofficial transcripts, nor can we accept original transcripts in opened envelopes. Transcripts do not need to be ordered for WLS alumni applying for another degree as we will have your transcripts on file.
4) Arrange two letters of reference. Print out confidential assessment forms during OUAC application and deliver to referees. The letters of reference can be mailed directly to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator or given to applicant to forward to WLS provided the letter is in a sealed envelope with a signature across the envelope seal. One of the references should be academic -- only if you have not attended university in the last five years is an academic reference not required. If one or both of the persons named is closely related to you, please request one or two additional references as necessary.
5) Save and print the Submission Summary at the end of the OUAC application process. OUAC does not notify WLS of your application or forward the Submission Summary.
6) Complete and print Personal Information Form found here. Instructions for the separate Personal Statement are detailed on this form.
7) TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam (if applicable): Applicants whose language of instruction for an undergraduate degree was other than English must furnish evidence of proficiency in English usage prior to admission. A minimum score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or its equivalent is required. Please arrange to have the official results of TOEFL sent directly to the Seminary Office as soon as these are available.
8) Collect both supervisor and self evaluations from any previous CPE/PCE units (if applicable).
9) Include a résumé of your academic and work experience.
10) Mail signed Submission Summary, CPE/PCE evaluations, résumé, Personal Information Form and Personal Statement along with your curriculum vitae and application checklist to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator. Include letters of reference and transcripts unless they are being mailed directly.
11) Contact the WLS Admissions Coordinator at 519-884-0710 ext 3234 after you have submitted your application so we know to expect your application materials.
January 15th for the following Fall term (September - December)
This program only accepts students in the Fall term.