MDIV-MSW Application Instructions
For additional questions, please visit www.seminary.wlu.ca or contact the Seminary Office.
Address all communications to:
Waterloo Lutheran Seminary
Attn: Admissions Coordinator
75 University Avenue West,
Waterloo, ON, N2L 3C5
Phone: (519) 884-0710 ext. 3234
Fax: (519) 725-2434
PROGRAM NOTES:This program is offered jointly by Waterloo Lutheran Seminary and the Faculty of Social Work at Wilfrid Laurier University. It integrates the curricula of both programs in such a way that a student can fulfil the requirements in four years (excluding any time required by a student's church for internship) and graduate with two degrees. This program is particularly valuable for those who are interested in positions of leadership in the social agencies of the church and the community at large. Because the completion of the joint program results in the receipt of both the MDIV and the MSW degrees, persons graduating from the joint program are also qualified to apply for other positions within the fields of social work and church ministry. For those not seeking a career in ordained ministry, please see the Master of Arts in Theology: Christian Studies or Master of Arts in Theology: Spiritual Care and Counselling programs. There are a limited number of positions in the joint MDIV-MSW program. Normally no more than six students are admitted to the program in any particular year. Therefore, it is desirable to apply for admission to this joint program at the earliest possible date. All materials must be received by the Faculty of Social Work and Waterloo Lutheran Seminary no later than 4 pm on January 15th each year for the following Fall term enrolment. Your completed dossier will be reviewed by the Academic Admissions Committee and you may be invited for a personal interview. The decision of the Committee will be shared with the applicant normally within one month of receipt of completed application. Courses can be registered for after an offer of admission is accepted. Application materials will not be returned. In order to be admitted to the joint program, applicants must be admitted to the MDIV program by Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, and to the MSW program by the Laurier Faculty of Social Work. The following are instructions to apply for the MDIV. Joint program applicants will also need to complete the application requirements for the MSW; please contact the Faculty of Social Work for all information.
1) Complete the online application form via Wilfrid Laurier University and the Ontario University Application Centre (OUAC), found here: http://www.wlu.ca/page.php?grp_id=36&p=635. A non-refundable application fee of $150 is paid online by credit card. Should you encounter technical difficulties with the application, please contact OUAC directly at 519-823-1940.
2) Order original transcripts from all college and universities you have attended, included incomplete degrees and diplomas. Transcripts from some Ontario colleges and universities schools can be ordered during the OUAC application process and will be sent to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary electronically. If your institution was not on the list, you will need to contact that institution directly and order a transcript to be sent to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator. If you attended Wilfrid Laurier University, you will not need to order that transcript. We cannot accept photocopied or unofficial transcripts, nor can we accept original transcripts in opened envelopes. Transcripts do not need to be ordered for WLS alumni applying for another degree as we will have your transcripts on file.
3) Arrange two letters of reference. Print out confidential assessment forms during OUAC application and deliver to referees. The letters of reference can be mailed directly to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator or given to applicant to forward to WLS provided the letter is in a sealed envelope with a signature across the envelope seal. One of the references should be academic -- only if you have not attended university in the last five years is an academic reference not required. The other should be from your church pastor. If one or both of the persons named is closely related to you, please request one or two additional references as necessary.
4) Complete and print Personal Information Form from OUAC application. Instructions for the separate Personal Statement are detailed on this form.
5) Save and print the Submission Summary at the end of the OUAC application process. OUAC does not notify WLS of your application or forward the Submission Summary.
6) For Contextual Stream students, arrange for a letter of endorsement for study from the candidacy committee of your denomination to be sent to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator.
7) TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam (if applicable): Applicants whose language of instruction for an undergraduate degree was other than English must furnish evidence of proficiency in English usage prior to admission. A minimum score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or its equivalent is required. Please arrange to have the official results of TOEFL sent directly to the Seminary Office as soon as these are available.
8) Mail signed Submission Summary, Personal Information Form and Personal Statement to Waterloo Lutheran Seminary attn: Admissions Coordinator. Include a résumé of your academic and work experience. Include letters of reference and transcripts unless they are being mailed directly, and the letter of endorsement and TOEFL score if applicable. Include letters of reference and transcripts unless they are being mailed directly.
9) Complete the application for the MSW by following their application instructions here.
10) Contact the WLS Admissions Coordinator at 519-884-0710 ext 3234 after you have submitted your application so we know to expect your application materials.
January 15th for the following Fall term (September - December)
August 15th for the following Winter term (January - April)
December 15th for the following Spring term (May - August)